You are viewing: News and Events: Press Releases: Vibrators Ease Menopause Symptoms
Media Contact: Camilla Lombard
Events and Publicity Manager
(510) 380-8814 ext. 216
Sweden Studies Harmful Effects of Pthalates in Sex Toys
Pioneering Adult Retailer Good Vibrations Was the First to Eliminate Phthalates in Sex Toys,
Offers Ecorotic® Options for Sustainable Sex
SAN FRANCISCO (October 15, 2013): Officials in Sweden are examining sex toys to determine whether phthalates, the toxic chemical softeners used in plastics, should be banned from adult toys. Linked to fertility issues and possibly cancer, phthalates have long been forbidden in children's toys, and now culturally progressive Sweden is the most recent country to explore the potential hazards in adult toys too.
As the original clean-well-lighted place for vibrators, Good Vibrations found this issue concerning too, and in 2001 they were the first company in the U.S. to research the issue of phthalates in adult toys and look for safer alternatives. In 2007, Good Vibrations became the first multi-channel retail company to discontinue these products and we encouraged our manufacturers to do the same. A consistent leader of social change, Good Vibrations offers exclusively sustainable products on its Ecorotic® website at http://ecorotic.com.
The safety of adult products extends beyond just phthalates. Personal lubricants, massage lotions, oils, and powders can include harsh chemicals that irritate sensitive skin or violate vegan standards. Good Vibrations' own line of lubricant, massage and body products are all-natural and even vegan. To clarify how and why a product qualifies as ecorotic, the retailer created the Ecorotic® rating system to makes choosing your next body-friendly item easier than ever.
- Body-safe - Sex toys are made from many different materials, with varying amounts of information available about Body-safe - Sex toys are made from many different materials, with varying amounts of information available about them, and many have not been tested for safety. We always choose better-quality items, and we give special attention to those we know to be safer.
- Animal product-free - You might be surprised at how many products contain animal products. You can be sure that items that earn this leaf aren't made with any.
- Rechargeable - Toys that can be recharged reduce the number of batteries that end up in landfill. We also encourage you to use rechargeable batteries if your favorite vibrator operates using disposables.
- Natural ingredients - More products, especially lubricants, are being made from natural ingredients. Less processing and fewer artificial materials means more ecorotic®.
- Recyclable Packaging/Materials - When the package and/or material for your toy can be recycled, you can reduce the impact of your purchase on the environment.
- Made in the USA - Many sex toy and products are produced overseas. Choosing one that's manufactured and assembled in the United States reduces shipping and has a lower carbon footprint.
Dr. Carol Queen, Good Vibrations' staff Sexologist and company spokesperson explains the importance of greening the bedroom, "Kudos to Sweden for taking sex toys seriously and elevating the conversation around body safety and intimate products. Good Vibrations considered this an important question back in 2007 and it's still important today, so we developed ecorotic® options for a happy, healthy sex life!"
ABOUT GOOD VIBRATIONS
Good Vibrations is the San Francisco-based retailer trusted for more than three decades to provide a comfortable, safe environment for finding sex-positive products and educational materials to enhance one's sex life. Good Vibrations offers products through its website, goodvibes.com and retail stores in San Francisco, Berkeley, and Oakland, CA and in Brookline, MA.